Monday, 8 March 2010

The Sheet is Down

The rain never came so the soil stayed dry. I don't think it would have made much of a difference, as this morning I cut up and put down my sheeting, which lets moisture and heat in, and keeps sunlight and therefore weeds out. I got a roll of 1.5 m by 8 m, which was ideal as the plots are about 1.1 m sq, so it fitted nicely over the edges where I was able to weight it down with the decorative rocks that I took out in the first place - just as well I kept them :)


The plot is now all nicely undercover for the next couple of weeks. It'll need raking through again, and certainly destoning, but that can wait. I can now officially call phase 1 - clearing the trees, shrubs (what is the difference?), rocks and weeds - complete.

First thing when we're back from hols will be to start on the seedlings, so next it's back to the books.

I've already decided that the things grown in bags/pots that I was going to put on the patio will now be better at the far end of the garden as it gets much more sun (i.e. some). There's a perfect couple of meters between the tree and the shed:


The recent sun has been lovely and makes all of this much easier to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment