Friday, 5 March 2010

How Deep is Your Shrub?

The morning started well, with the next shrub. It was hard going with a few breaks, but eventually came out.




Then I started on the biggest. At first I thought it may be a few trees as there were about 4 trunks (trunk seems too much for something about an inch in diameter), but as I dug down they were all part of the same tree.



However this was a much tougher prospect than the last two. I dug to the depth of the fork and still wasn't any nearer to getting it to budge. There were times when I wondered just how deep it did go. My next plan was to dig out the area around it so I some room to work - this was particularly difficult for the area near the fence. I ended up on my hands and knees quite a few times, spooning the earth out with my hands as it was far more efficient than with the fork or spade.


Finally I got enough earth loosened at a deep enough level to start to rock the tree free, like wiggling a not-quite-loose-enough tooth. By reaching under and snapping roots by hand (I'll have to dig around then to pull them free later) I had it coming out all except one last root. I presumed it must be a huge root as the tree just would,'t budge from that direction. After an almighty pull it came free, and I realised that the huge root was actually a cluster of tiny roots, that had been made significantly denser by butting up against the edge. I knew this as half of the earth on that edge came away with it!

Exhausting.


Still have to pull out the roots, and turn the soil; but 3 down, 3 to go. I just hope I'm past the worst.

I'm looking forward to the day when I'm talking about the veg, and what they're sitting in is but a distant memory... "Oh, the plot has always been this way" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment